Sunday, February 17, 2008

A Taste of Empty-nesters


Tomorrow is President's Day.  Matt and I have inservice all day and the girls needed a place to go, so what better place than grandma and grandpa's house.  We called Saturday to see if grandma wanted helpers on her day off (mom always has mondays off) and she said she would love it.  We had planned on taking them over to La Grande this afternoon after church, but grandma and grandpa decided to pick them up yesterday afternoon so they could stay 2 nights instead.  Now to most parents, this seems like the perfect plan.  Kids gone, no one to worry about.  We even thought that too.  But Matt had meetings in Walla Walla last night and we have both been sick with this sinus crud that is everywhere and we have just laid around the house and felt sorry for ourselves.  We even called to see if the girls missed us and they really didn't.  Dad took them to see Tajar (my dad's horse) and they have eaten ice cream and who knows what else.  When I was talking to my mom earlier, Lily and Nora were snuggling on grandpa's lap and Mori was channel surfing to find a good show to watch.  They didn't even ask to talk to me.  I am not sure if I should be hurt or just realize that grandpa and grandma are pretty special and the girls have found it in their hearts to make them feel really special for 48 hours.  Matt and I have decided that we can wait for the inevitable empty nest.  I am sure it will be here before we will be ready -- and maybe we will be more ready when the girls hit their teenage years.  For right now though, we like them just as they are!

1 comment:

Carly said...

It was so fun reading your entries. your girls are so gorgeous, I can't wait to find out what #4 is going to be like!! (A boy? A girl?!)
Excited for your addition on the house, too... We'll have to come see it!!